Dear Reader, I’m delighted to update you on our 3DP doings at 3DP Media and NYC3DP.com…from Techreative Brooklyn—the City’s official “Digital District.” Cutting to the chase, we’ve created a new Meetup group—HCx3DP New York—AND I’d like to invite you to attend our first Meetup evening on Wednesday, 12 November. And, yes: HCx3DP stands for “Healthcare Multiplied By 3D Printing.”
As I think you may already know, I’ve been writing for 3DPI (3D Printing Industry Ltd.—world’s largest and best 3DP media house) here in New York City for going on six months. (I’ve reported for 3DPI while continuing my own blog, Vlog and Twitter postings under my brands/banners. This includes online-publishing of my early-every-Monday eNewsletter—This Week In NYC3DP—first delivered to you in June of 2013. The publication in which you’re probably reading this…)
Now—because of my personal interest in healthcare AND healthcare’s position as the fastest growing sector of 3DP—I’m “pivoting.” That’s ‘Preneur-speak for on-the-fly, strategic-direction adjustment. (As you might guess, most startups pivot more than once!)
For 3DP Media, we’re not changing direction by many degrees. We’re still all about 3DP. We’re just re-targeting more directly, and mostly, on the 3DP impacts on / disruptions in / opportunities around Life Sciences: healthcare, biotech, medsci, DIYbio, etc. Aligning with my worldview, this is all about both community commerce AND common-good.
So—on 22 October—we launched a new Meetup group in New York City. I’ve entitled it HCx3DP NY: Healthcare Multiplied By 3D Printing = Synergies. (I also believe that this “formula” will deliver proactive results—greater than the mere summing of parts—to all those who participate.) Because of revolutionary changes in every segment of 3DP technology, there is hardly an aspect or area of healthcare that is NOT presently—or prospectively—under promise of radical make-over by 3D printing and/or digital frabication.
In the broadest sense, 3DP is pledging “personalized” healthcare. Because 3DP can work effectively—and cost-consciously—at a hyper-customized production unit of One, patient-specific medicine will be a reality at last.
Think DIY prostheses, Maker nurses, robotic exoskeletons, regenerative orthopedics, 3DP’d endodontics & orthodontia, 3DP’d bio-composite medical devices, 3DP’d medical-model planned surgery, bioprinted replacement soft tissues & organs, drug development via 3DP’d tissues, health-promoting 3DP’d nutrition, space-modulated synthetic biology and more…much more…
Our unabashed Meetup mission is to build a community—an entire synergistic ecosystem, if we do it right—that will bring many interests together under one “Big Tent” in our New York City. Our mutual “party” there should include appropriate players from the patient population and its advocates and supporters, healthcare, 3DP, education, business, investors, government, the professions, public/private partnerships, non-profits, foundations—and every other manner of interested individual and organization with positive connections to (and betterment intentions around) HCx3DP.
Our New York City is uniquely positioned and qualified to foster THE HCx3DP ecosystem that will dominate the 3DP disruption of Healthcare around the world. These are some of the on-the-ground facts that testify to this view:
- NYC is the acknowledged center of 3DP in the U.S.
- NYC enjoys unique, in-place 3DP infrastructure. This “platform” includes MakerBot to Shapeways; Kickstarter to Meetup; Etsy to Huge.
- NYC boasts the unique community of Brooklyn “Techreatives.” These are the CyberHipsters who can draw a beautiful analog curve, parse its truth in digits online and then arc a startup toward profit.
- NYC possesses the planet’s most extensive locus of higher-education institutions.
- Metro-NYC is the world’s “Pharmaceutical Capital,” with 60% of America’s Pharma industry found here.
- New York State is ranked #1 as a location for Life Sciences organizations.
- NYC organizations employ 665,000 Healthcare workers, largest such population in the U.S., and—most probably—the world.
Our over-arching goal at HCx3DP is to help synthesize and synergize Healthcare and 3D Printing at the sweet spot of their intersection around novel, mostly hyper-individualized healthcare solutions.
Here’s our ambitious time-line for our HCx3DP agenda:
- Near-term: build a successful, in-person, synergizing Meetup community with the support of online media, Web presences and direct human connection;
- Midterm: present resource-rich, enlightening and action-priming conference and expo event(s) in collaboration with a broad family of sponsors;
- Long-term: help establish an entire virtuous ecosystem—a commerce & common-good creating Cluster—buttressed by a community home-base/headquarters in NYC.
This last—an HCx3DP “home-base”—will act as the platform for an HCx3DP industrial-segment Cluster. This self-perpetuating, evolving and growing ecosystem will include established City players, home-grown startup “incubees” and commercial émigrés from all over New York State, the Nation and the globe. Their synergy will help make New York City the dominant HCx3DP player in the world.
So—to get started and inform you further—here is our inaugural Meetup event profile (from our Meetup.com sub-site) for the evening of 12 November (I’d love to see you there…):
Our “HCx3DP New York” Meetup—HCx3DP stands for “Healthcare Multiplied by 3D Printing”—is designed to help grow a community of “HCx3DP Synergists” who, together, will strive to discover, learn, exchange and advance personal, commercial and common-good knowledge about the new, important and valuable at the exciting and empowering intersection of HC & 3DP.
Our inaugural HCx3DP NY Meetup evening will include:
- greetings and orientation to “HCx3DP New York’s” organizing concepts by Organizer Land Grant;
- informal attendee self-intros, sharing of interests & projected expectations;
- a short A/V presentation by 3DP Journalist Land Grant on the latest developments in HCx3DP (first iteration presented at NYC Health Business Leaders‘ panel in June);
- a mini-panel discussion on some of the newest innovations in DIY/DIT (Do-It-Together) Healthcare: Including Maker Nurses, 3D Printed devices & Community BioLab medical cross-overs, followed by Q&A;
- a side-bar demo of 3D printing for the uninitiated by the innovative Organizers of the Meetup “Learn 3D Printing – Brooklyn”
- ample time for networking and relationship building; and
- light refreshments.
In this and future meetups, we will seek to explore such topics (and those YOU suggest) as:
• 3DP-Empowered Personalized Healthcare;
• DIY/DIT Robo-Hands Movement;
• DIY/DIT Synthetic-Biology Labs;
• DIY/DIT Medicine: Maker Nurses;
• 3DP’d Non-Invasive ExoSolutions;
• Patient-Controlled Robotic Exoskeletons;
• Regenerative Orthopedic Medicine;
• 3DP’d Endodontia & Orthodontia;
• 3DP’d BioComposite Medical Devices;
• 3DP’d Medical-Model Planned Surgery;
• Bioprinted Replacement Soft Tissues & Organs;
• Drug Development Via 3DP’d Tissues;
• FDA Tissue-Toxicity Testing;
• Health-Promoting 3DP’d Nutrition;
• Space-Modulated Synthetic Biology; and
• So Much More In Daily Development…
Join us—on the evening of 12 November—to kick-off the building of our “HCx3DP Synergists” community!
I look forward to “meeting up” with you…
3DP Journalist & “HCx3DP New York” Organizer
3DP Media | NYC3DP.com | 3DPI Ltd.
…and, as always: C’mon Back!